The CFW Tape Exchange is on hold folks. So if you’ve made some tapes, stash them away for now, don’t send any to the old addresses. Fear not – I am not chucking it in – oh contrary! It’s gonna be re-launched BIGGER and BETTER than ever, but probably not ’til the new year. Hold tight folks xx
Bringing the mixtape exchange out in public for the first time in a while tonight!
It’s a FREE night in London called EagleLegs… It’s at TheMacbeth (70 Hoxton Street) it’s run by some really awesome girls and they’ve made a super special effort to make it MORE than just a club night.. There’ll be myMixtape exchange box, a table of zines (including the launch of the new Shebang issue), DJs playing riot grrl, soul, indie, and get this… LOADS OF CAKES!
Find out more if you have Facebook here:
see you there xxxxx
I have nothing to say but I wanted to say HELLO.
Happy valentines day everyone. I am making lovebirds lino prints to mark the occasion. And making weepy playlists on Spotify, probably. My spotify account is charlotfuckingwebster if you wanna subscribe!
Hello folks! It’s been a while. After much thinking (and also lots of forgetting I’m supposed to be thinking) I finally made a decision about how I am possibly gonna keep up with being on the INTERNET. I now not only have a Facebook, but also a Twitter, arghhh. Overload of excitement, I know. & now this blog will also show all my little goings-ons.
The poor old tape exchange has had a rocky road the past year or so as I have been moving house loads and so it’s been hard for everybody to know where to post their tapes to, I know! See “THE TAPE EXCHANGE!” section of this blog for the current address (which it will be ’til November 2011) and get your tapes to me!
Now, I done a bit of spring (winter) cleaning.. Finally got my photos from my “WILLIES” exhibition at Project Slogan that happened in August 2010. They’re up on Facebook now.
Why make a whole art show of rocket cocks you woulda drawn on your school exercise book? Because put a pen in someone’s hand, I betcha that’s what they’ll draw.
So I hope you tapeheads don’t mind that I now use this blog for my other ventures too, don’tcha worry, I’m still taping. xxxxx
When times are hard and it’s celebration-time.. I replace presents with mixtapes. For Christmas in ’08 I mad my mother a mixtape entitled ‘Whistle While You Work’ because she loves listening to tapes in the kitchen but only had the Les Miserables cassette on loop for a while.. and really there’s only so long you can Dream A Dream. It was hard making a tape for ma because she doesn’t listen to much music anymore.. I had to scrape the barrel and put T Rex and David Bowie on twice because I knew they’d go down a treat. She loved the tape and still plays it now, so this year with just a few pennies in my hand, for her birthday I dug out another 90 minute TDK. Having used up all the songs I thought I had that she would like on disc, I thought I’d make a mixtape with a twist. I dug out a coupla boxes of her old 7″s I had rescued from the dusty attic years ago, which she can’t have listened to for 20+ years, and decided that ‘Whistle While You Work vol.2’ I would use her long lost record collection.
This was really really fun to do.. Loads of the bands I hadn’t heard of, and a lot of them I wouldn’t be sad if I never heard again, but it was definitely loads of fun making a mixtape out of someone else’s record collection. If you ever get the opportunity to do this – DO.
‘Whistle While You Work vol. 1′
1. Laser Love – T Rex
2. Lipstick On Your Collar – Connie Francis
3. Slow Club SUmmer Shakedown – Slow Club
4. Kate – Ben Folds Five
5. We Can Be Strong – Willy Mason
6. I Never – Rilo Kiley
7. What In The World – David Bowie
8. Village Ghetto Land – Stevie Wonder
9. These Boots Are Made For Walking – Nancy Sinatra
10. Bye Bye Love – The Everly Brothers
11. Escargot – Peggy Sue
12. Maybe – The Chantels
13. Itty Bitty Pretty One – Screaming Jay Hawkins
14. Bad Guys – Bugsy Malone Original Movie Soundtrack
15. Got A Lot O’ Lovin’ To Do – Elvis Presley
16. Oh! Pretty Woman – Derek Meins
1. Remember (walking in the sand) – The Shangri Las
2. You’ll Never Walk Alone – Carousel Original Movie Soundtrack
3. Respect – Aretha Franklin (live in ’68)
4. Dirty Diana – Michael Jackson
5. Love Her Madly – The Doors
6. Heroes – David Bowie
7. Helicopter – Bloc Party
8. No Substitute Love – Estelle
9. Goin’ Out Of My Head- Little Anthony and The Imperials
10. I’m Gonna Wash That Man Right Outta My Hair – South Pacific Original Movie Soundtrack
11. I Do Wrong – Liz Green
12. I Am Your Pedigree – Inspector Tapehead
13. Children Of The Revolution – T Rex
14. Poor Little Rich Boy – Regina Spektor
15. Sea Of Love – Cat Power
‘Whistle While You Work vol. 2′
1. Round and Round – David Bowie
2. The Pushbike Song – The Mixtures
3. You’re A Natural High – Hot Chocolate
4. Poor Cow – Donovan
5. If You Go Away – Terry Jacks
6. Pinball – Brian Protheroe
7. Sugar, Sugar – The Archies
8. Oink Rap – Uncle Pigg
9. Never Turn Your Back On Mother Earth – Sparks
10. Tous Les Garçons et les filles – Françoise Hardy
11. Then – The Pal Brothers
12. City Boys – B. J. Thomas
13. English Country Garden – Jimmie Rodgers
14. Mean Girl – Status Quo
15. Baby, I Love You O.K! – Kenny
16. I’ll Meet You Halfway – The Partridge Family
1. Say You Love Me – Jenny Clarke
2. Listen People – Herman’s Hermits
3. Mind Games – John Lennon
4. Looking High, High, High – Bryan Johnson
5. Rock Your Baby – George McCrae
6. I’d Like To Teach The World To SIng (in perfect harmony) – The New Seekers
7. Say You Don’t Mind – Colin Blunstone
8. Remember Yesterday – John Miles
9. Once Bitten, Twice Shy – Ian Hunter
10. Gitchy Gloomy – Neil Diamond
11. God Only Knows – Monaco
12. Could It Be Forever – David Cassidy
13. Singing Time – Tommy Steele
14. Dance With The Devil – Cozy Powell
15. No Girl Reaction – Mungo Jerry
She did admit to me the other day “Charlot, I think I like heavy metal’ so I think the next tape I make her will be a bit different. Can’t wait!
Hello internet. Yes, I am alive, and even better… Yes the mixtape exchange is still alive!
I can’t believe it’s April in half an hour and I haven’t written here since July. I knew I was a bad blogger, but that’s another level, isn’t it? You know when you put something off, then you’re kinda embarrassed that it’s taken you so long so you put it off some more, and it starts a whole big circle. Yeah, well.. Good news is that despite my worst effort at blogging, the CFW TAPE EXCHANGE has been going strong in this internet absence. Just goes to show how the internet is bullshit and word of mouth and paper fliers still work.
This time I’m not making any promises that I will update regularly. Let’s face it I probably won’t.. But you know the best way you can see some cool updates of mixtapes? Make one and send it in to the exchange!🙂
Looking back on my previous blogs made me feel nostalgic of those tours and me having the opportunity to litter my fliers in lots of different towns. I don’t get around much anymore so if you own a record store / distro / put on shows and want to litter my fliers for me – get in touch firstname.lastname@example.org thankyou xx
Here is a juicy tape for you, I haven’t listened to it but it’s awful pretty.. This confirms what I blogged last year that “cardboard must be in” and I guess that trend is still going strong.
– You! Nietzsche! Dancing! –
A mixtape in two parts
Side A (Dancing about thinking)
1. Ponytail – Beg Waves
2. Kickball – Fight
3. Animal Collective – Chores
4. Bearsuit – Itsuko Got Married
5. Deerhoof – O’Malley, Former Underdog
6. Envelopes – Sister In Love
7. Love Is All – Spinning and Scratching
8. Jens Lekman – Jens Lekman’s Farewell Song to Rocky Dennis
9. Bat For Lashes – The Wizard
10. Andrew Bird – Fitz and the Dizzyspells
11. Abe Vigoda – Animal Ghosts
12. Shapes and Sizes – Alone/Alive
13. Dananananaykroyd – Black Wax
Side B (Thinking about dancing)
1. Mount Eeire (with Julie Doiron) – Flaming Home
2. Why? – The Vowels Pt. 2
3. Dirty Projectors – Two Doves
4. Cryptacize – Mythomania
5. Menomena – Wet and Rusting
6. Fanfarlo – Finish Line
7. M83 – Kim and Jessie
8. El Perro Del Mar – Dog
9. Scout Niblett – I Am
10. Pavement – All My Friends
11. Aesop Rock – Coffee
12. Adrian Orange – You’re Free
So thankyou to everyone that is still sending tapes in. Especially you cats abroad. I love getting airmail. If you don’t know where to send your mixtape or what you need for postage to get one back, or what a mixtape even is or anything, there’s info in the about section on here, or just e-mail me email@example.com
Lots of love and happy mixing x
The kind man on the phone told me everything was ok and sent me a new laptop charger! I am briefly happy, and now me and Mac are re-united once more for blog updates galore.
Before I get typing about tapes I wanna write before I forget.. There’s a new failed rockstar website. For those that remember failed rockstar, it’s pretty exciting.. For those that don’t, it’s now an awesome shiny new website with loads of great features and interviews with artists and it’s a really good read it’s all laid out really well making it interesting and I just think it’s super as I think most of what the Phoenix brothers come out with is. www.failedrockstar.org go there! Infact I think I might start writing about other peoples websites and blogs more often because that would be good and also I would remember the addresses then.
So anyway, here’s 2 tapes I’ve been meaning to feature for ages. The first it turns out I lost the bit of paper I copied down the tracklisting, but you can see a few of them in the photo. I hope you agree that this packaging is AMAZING! I nearly weed myself when this one came in the post. Is someone sending me cigarettes in the post?? No! It’s neatly labeled “for the mixtape exchange” to save confusion. It was made by Lewis Irvine in Glasgow, look at the 1st row:
The 2nd row is the other one I am featuring more properly (in that I am going to alllll the effort of typing up the tracklisting.. I know, I know, the things I do..) is from a guy called David from London I think. I had time to listen to this tape myself and I loved it. It made me pretty excited mostly because it started with Say Anything and that was such a “get hyped” start. So i got hyped. Also it’s got pretty packaging.. Kinda like dunk le chunk’s tape I featured before. I guess cardboard it in at the moment?
“I wish I was called Sebastian (that would be cool)” By David, May ’09.
1. Say Anything – Admit it
2. Regina Spektor – Your Honor
3. Be Your Own Pet – Adventure
4. Yeah yeah yeahs – Bang!
5. Operator Please – Just a song about ping pong
6. The Strokes – New York City cops
7. Ryan Adams – Shakedown on 9th street
8. PJ Harvey – Good fortune
9. Radiohead – Just
10. The Thrills – Whatever happened to Corey Haim?
11. Brand New – Fork & knife
12. City and Colour – Save your scissors
13. Nirvana – Where did you sleep last night?
1. The Flaming Lips – Race for the prize
2. Poppy and the Jezebels – The lips of Cleopatra
3. Spoon – The way we get by
4. Wilco – Jesus, etc.
5. Ben Folds Five – The luckiest
6. Iron and Wine – Such great heights
7. Bright Eyes – We are nowhere and it’s now
8. The Verve – History
9. Spiritualized – Stop your crying
10. Elbow – On a day like today
Hellohello. I am an awful updater.
So the news is: Ive been a busy little bee driving around the country lots over the past month or so which has been lovely! I’ve been Driving my buddies in the band Peggy Sue to their shows aswell as a few of my own, and off to Glasgow again tomorrow for some more recording. It’s all been really good. But in the brief time I’ve been home I had to unpack all my possesions gradually because before I went off driving everywhere I moved house and just dumped all my boxes of stuff just in a few big piles.
It’s nice moving house and discovering all the things you forgot you had and noticing the amount of junk you accustomed since last time you moved (which seems to be quite frequently for me). I’m not sure how I ended up with 2 copies of the South Pacific soundtrack on vinyl when I don’t even own a copy of the film, but it’s a good’un. As I was putting all my records away noticing how many I have that I never listen to.. I thought it might be fun to make a mixtape of songs off records I have but never listen to.
But then came the bad news.. My whole sound system went to the graveyard. To be fair it is almost 30 years old so I suppose that’s about as long as CDs have been available and so that’ pretty good going. But it was the best machine, it was my dad’s and he gave it to me as a hand-me-down on my 15th birthday and I thought it was really cool having seperates of CD, vinyl, then the amp having a double tapedeck and radio in it! It really was a beautiful set of objects.. But the point is it’s dead and I had to get new ones.. If anyone has tried to buy a double tapedeck/amp/tuner recently they will understand that it’s pretty hard to find all that in one. But I did get them as seperates and instead of a tuner a digital radio! Wow! This is going to make taping off the radio completely different.. I guess you don’t get static from a digital radio? So now I have a whole new sexy set up I’m really excited to explore it and get taping again!
I’ve had a few REALLY good tapes through my letter box and although one of them has gone already i took some photos of it so next week I will make another feature tape on here. I know I’m bad at updating, but I will.. OK maybe give me 2 weeks, perhaps I’ll even feature 2 tapes!
I have been SUPER excited at the mixtape headquarters recently. Had some really great ones pass through! I have also been making a couple of my own themed ones – one about colours – one about Aberdeen – one about my friend Kristy moving house – and I’ve got a few in the pipeline including one about the second world war and one about boys that I think are dreamy.
Now being the massive stationery geek that I am, I lovelovelove a well packaged tape. A pretty sleeve note or drawing, doodles, handwriting really makes me smile. So when one landed on the doorstep from Dunk at Red Deer Club I nearly cried with excitement. A beautifully packaged tape with awesome songs:
(Look – I worked out show to make the images smaller so the page is easier to scroll down. You can click on them to see them enlarged)
RED DEER SEX TAPES…
A COMPILATION BY DUNK LE CHUNK (MARCH ’09)
1. The Eels – Theme from bunking lights
2. Awesome Wells – Yellow tree
3. Quiet Village – Victoria’s Secret
4. Felt – Spectral morning
5. HMS Ginafore – Dandy and time is a killer
6. Down The Tiny Steps – Infinitea
7. Emmett Miller – The blues singer from alaban
8. The Boston Pops – Hot buttered popcorn
9. Magic Arm – Daft punk is playing at my house
10. Q Tip – Manwoman boogie
11. Casiotone For The Painfully Alone – I love you creedence
12. City Centre – Summer school
13. Kitty Daisy & Lewis – Going up the country
14. Phosphorescent – I gotta get drunk
1. Dr. Octagon – I got to tell you
2. The Pictish Trail – Secret Sound No.2
3. George Thomas & The Owls – Cakes, pastries & patisseries
4. The Great Park – Displacement song
5. Freschard – Me + depth = 2
6. Fire On Fire – Hangman
7. Paddy Steel – Bells of the horses
8. Eine Kleine Nacht Musik – Das regenecho
9. Unknown – Prison song
10. Spider And The Flies – Metallurge
11. Foo Fighters – This is a call
12. Dananananakroyd – Chrome rainbow
13. They Might Be Giants – Birdhouse in your soul
It also really excited me that he put radio static/ tuning between stations at the beginning of each side because it brought back memories from when I was wee and taping off the radio, and also just because it’s a great intro. sound-wise.
If I’m honest I kept this tape for myself for a couple of weeks (I know, naughty me) but it’s in the box now! So get taping and this gem could be yours..
Also a quick note to those who have made tapes for this exchange before – please always e-mail before you send one at firstname.lastname@example.org to check it’s the same address because it does change!
Before we went on tour, Dave (who plays my songs with me) wanted to make a tape for the exchange. Obviously Dave being Dave left it ’til right before we went. He doesn’t have a tape player of his own so I said he could use mine, so he brings in the blank 90 min TDK I gave him for his birthday and a whole stack of CDs to my room and starts and I give him my wise words of making a mixtape tips and left him to it. He spent all night dancing away in my room so I ended up sleeping on the sofa. Here is what he made:
“This tape is fast”
1. Architecture in Helsinki – Red Turned White
2. Saves The Day – See You
3. Stars – Set Yourself on Fire
4. Hot Chip – Out At The Pictures
5. Captain Everything! – The Bomb Song
6. Why? – The Vowels Part II
7. Pedro The Lion – Arizona
8. The Movielife – Once In A Row
9. Electric Light Orchestra – Mr Blue Sky
10. New End Original – Lukewarm
11. Reggie and The Full Effect – Your Bleedin’ Heart
12. Scholars – Tornadoes
13. I Can Make A Mess Like Nobody’s Business – The Best Happiness Money Can Buy
1. Death Cab For A Cutie – The New Year
2. Fleet Foxes – Ragged Wood
3. Jimmy Eat World – A Praise Chorus
4. Vampire Weekend – M79
5. Head Automatica – At The Speed of a Yellow Bullet
6. The Shins – Caring Is Creepy
7. Kings of Convenience – I Don’t Know What I Can Save You From
8. The Get Up Kids – I’m a Loner Dotty, A Rebel!
9. Holy Fuck – Lovely Allen
10. RX Bandits – Crushing Destroyer
11. Sufjan Stevens – The Mistress Witch From McClure
12. Ben Folds Five – Boxing
He drew a pretty picture of a racing car & wrote the following in the sleeve:
“Dear Tape Recipient, Yo, wuzzurp, thanks for taking my tape! I hope you think it’s really cool because I do. There are 2 problems with it though; 1. The recording got a bit botched so after the first two songs everything is a little quicker than it should be 2. I didn’t put any Weezer on it.”
ALSO he found an old mixtape I made for his birthday 6 years ago! It is awesome, featuring mostly old rhythm and blues and including at least 3 songs from musicals, haha! I have always had good taste. I’ll try and nab it and post that up at some point, too.